Samsung Galaxy S4 Android smartphone can now be updated with the latest version of Kitkat 4.4.2 OS. This firmware is for only M919 version of Galaxy S4 which is the T-Mobile variant and is dubbed as the version number as UVUFNB4. This new firmware is released as OTA but can be applied as manual update with the help of simple instructions. So for all those who are on the unofficial builds or say are on the custom ROM firmwares can easily update the firmware with simple instructions mentioned below;
Note: This update is only available for Galaxy S4 M919 Android phone and not for I9500/5 android phone. Also, applying this update won’t root the device in any manner or void the warranty.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Though, all your data might just be safe. It’s always recommended for you to back up the data so that just in case if the data gets lost or corrupted, the same can be restored manually with the help of below mentioned steps.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Head over to the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” in your Samsung Galaxy S4 M919 so as to enable the USB Debugging Mode. Make sure that your device is left with the minimum of 50% of battery life or else the device may get turned off in the middle of firmware update.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible in any manner for any damage happened to your Galaxy S4 due to not following the instructions mentioned in the article.
Let’s head over to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide which will help you upgrade the device firmware with the latest firmware.
Procedure to Manual Update Galaxy S4 M919 Android Phone with KitKat 4.4.2 XXUFNB3 Android Firmware:
- Download Kitkat 4.4 Android update for Galaxy S4 M919 from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and place the zip file in your device.
- Once placed, you then will have to disconnect the device so that it can be entered in the recovery mode.
- Turn off your device so that it can be entered in the Recovery Mode. Galaxy S4 can be entered into the recovery mode by holding the Volume Up button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device.
- Alternatively, you can also enter the recovery mode with the help of “ROM Manager” app. In recovery mode, select corresponding options to clear and wipe the data present in your phone.
- In recovery mode, select “install zip from sd card” and then choose the zip file of Firmware Zip Package which you have placed in your phone. Now, once the firmware is updated, select “Go Back” and select “reboot system now”.
- Please note that it might take 3 -4 minutes for applying the update. Once the update is applied and once you see the home screen in your device, you can disconnect the device from computer.
- To check on whether the firmware is applied successfully or not, head over to the path “Settings > About Phone” where the firmware version will be mentioned as KitKat 4.4.2 firmware.
Note: If at all your Galaxy S4 smartphone gets in the boot loop mode, then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off you can reinsert the battery or say you can long press the power button.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update. You have now successfully updated the latest version of KitKat 4.4.2 Android firmware in your Samsung Galaxy S4 Android smartphone.