Verizon updates Motorola Droid Razr & Razr Maxx to Android 2.3.6
Verizon Wireless in United States has released a major update to Motorola Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX. Razr and Razr Maxx are the Motorola Mobility best smartphones produces by Motorola in the recent times are priced at $ 299 for Razr Maxx and Razr 16 GB variant is priced at $ 199.99. These updates to Android 2.3.6 will make the users happy and they will be lot happier if they receive Ice Cream Sandwich update very soon. But it doesn’t look like that and they have to wait unit April 2012. These update to Android Gingerbread update can be done by Over the Air upgrade and so we recommend users to proceed with it only when you have Wi-Fi signal connected as with your 3G or 4G plans it will cost you more.
Improvements & Enhancements
With Android 2.3.6 on your Droid Razr and Razr Maxx you have the following improvements and enhancements added –
- Mobile hot spot will now work perfectly on all the devices
- You will notice that there are improvements in mobile hotspot security
- VZ navigator now supports the latest 3D maps and improves performances
- Voice mail messages can be marked as read
- Visual voice mail can be subscribed or unsubscribed
- V Cast application is pre loaded with this update
- MotoCast now can be easily installed
- Stable connectivity after turning on Wi-Fi or data connectivity when Airplane Mode is disabled
- Improved data reception on low signal 4G environments
- Battery life lasts longer when using Phone Book Access Profile Bluetooth headsets
- Now save multi media ringtones
- Improvements in favorite contacts widgets
- Improves device stability
- During the OTA update remaining time display will be shown correctly
- CMAS i.e., Commercial Mobile Alert Service has been added
Pre Upgrade Instructions
You should ensure that you have sufficient battery left on your phone so that upgrade is successful as it will take 30 to 90 minutes approximately for the whole process which is dependent on the network conditions and reception. The size of the software version is 152 MB.
Before you proceed with the installation you need to backup almost all things which are present on your phone. Make use of the following Android application to perform a backup –
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore,
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Motorola Droid Razr & Razr Maxx Update to Android 2.3.6
If you have received notifications from Verizon or Motorola then using that notification you can easily update by following the home screen. And if you have not received any such notifications or you have skipped upgrading during the notifications period then you can need to navigate from Menu > Settings > About phone > System Update and then click on Download.
Once the download of the files is completed which can take anything more than 30 minutes, you just need to tap on Install Now. The handset will be powered off and it will turn on showing the progress bard with installation icon. Once the installation is done you need to power off your phone and reboot it again.
Finally when the upgrade is done you will be notified of the same. To check manually the Android version on your phone you need to go to Settings from Menu option and then click on About Phone to check the Android version and software version. Do let us know if you had any problem during the installation.