Many of you must be aware of VOIP based internet calling services and many of these services have successfully arrived on mobile platforms as well. A lot of these apps are available on Android and many more have started to come out recently as well. VOIP has its own benefits both in terms of quality and cost when compared to standard telephony used. With an always on internet connection in most of today’s smartphones and advancing technologies like 4G, VOIP telephony certainly has a very bright future.
In this post, we will be looking into some of the best Android apps that can be used for making international calls. For most of these VOIP telephony services, the money amount is prepaid and has to be bought in fixed denominations with a credit card and it gets added to your account. After this, one can use this money to make calls and call rates vary from country to country.
Skype is one of the most famous VOIP services which initially started out as a free PC-PC calling client. Today, Skype has over 700 million users and is the most quickest and fastest platform for VOIP telephony. Skype has the best looking user interface and takes only a few steps to setup. If you don’t have an account, visit Skype.com to get one and add money to your Skype account by using the Skype Credit option on their website.
Skype can be used to communicate for free, when you are contacting another Skype user who may be logged in on his PC or smartphone. As long as the call is to another Skype user, Skype does not charge you for the same. This is the most widely used service and is really convenient when both the users are connected to Skype.
There are multiple payment plans available as well.
- Pay as you go : It is useful for people who use it from time to time. Whenever needed, one can add credit to their account and use it as and when needed. The rates of this service vary from country to country and can be checked here.
- Unlimited World Calling Plan : In this plan, you will have to pay a fixed amount of 13.99$ and you’re done for the month. You can use the Skype service to make an unlimited number of calls anywhere in the world. But note that these can be done only to fixed phone/landline numbers and not mobile phone/cellular numbers. Canada, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Thailand and the United States are the only countries whose mobile numbers are free as well. Except these, this plan works out only for landline phones.
- Unlimited Europe Calling Plan : The unlimited Europe plan costs you a fixed amount of $8.99 per month and this would give the user unlimited calling minutes throughout the 24 European countries
Note : The unlimited plans from Skype come with a Fair Usage Policy which states All calls will be disconnected and require a re-dial after a 2-hour duration.
Skype can be downloaded from the Play Store here .
Vonage is the most widely used VOIP service within the Americas. It is more or less similar to Skype in terms of the voice quality it offers and Vonage has some great plans for those who sign up on a long term basis and choose a package accordingly. Call rates work out cheaper than Skype when chosen in this case and Vonage has a great application on Android as well.
Vonage Calling plans :
- Vonage World Calling Plan: With Vonage World, you’ll be able to make unlimited calling throughout the world. Do note that these calls are only for landline/fixed line phones and for mobile phones, there is a limit of around 10 countries only. This will cost you 9.99$ per month for the first three months beyond which it is priced at 25.99$ exclusive of taxes. As already discussed, these plans are long term and to have the first three months charged at $9.99, you must sign up for a one-year contract without which right from the first month, charges will be at 25.99$ .
- Vonage Plus 1000 Calling Plan : This plan costs you $54.99 per month. This is a fixed term plan and does not have any minimum contract to sign up for. With Vonage Plus 1000, calls can be made to countries all around the world to their fixed line/landline and mobile phones of 10 countries, similar to the World Calling Plan. What’s different is the user will also be getting 1000 premium minutes to make calls to other countries outside of their list.
The above apps are the good priced ones with reliable and good voice quality while other famous VOIP based apps include Voip Phone, Keyyo VOIP, JustVoip etc. Do check out these apps and consider switching to VOIP telephony using your Android smartphone device.