If you have ever thought of making a Voice call or checking the account balance via USSD in your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 device and couldn’t do that then it’s not your fault as Samsung had purposely kept this feature hidden even in its latest upgrade of ICS Android 4.0.4 firmware. In the due course of this article we will be guiding you with a detailed procedure after following which you can make Voice calls as well as check the account balance of the Sim Card which you have inserted in your Galaxy Tab. While people are only opting the latest Galaxy Tab 2 for the sake of calling benefit, 1st generation Galaxy Tab is lighter and thinner than the 2nd Generation Galaxy Tab.
The best part of this work around is that this can be applied on the array of Android firmwares like stock Android 4.0.4 Samsung ROM, the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean based CyanogenMod (CM10) ROM, the Ice Cream Sandwich based CM9 ROM, and AOKP ROM installed in your Galaxy Tab 10.1 device. The only sad part is that for applying this work around, you will have to root your Galaxy Tab. To check on whether your tablet is rooted or not, you will have to download the Android app called “Root Checker”. Full credits to the recognized XDA developer almaqdad for coming out with this update.
Note: Please note that this is not an Official workaround and also this workaround only works on the Galaxy Tab 750 / Galaxy Tab 10.1 device which bears the model number as P7500. This should not be applied to any other device or else it might even brick the device.
Ensure that the minimum charge left in the device is not less than 30% so as to make sure that it doesn’t get turned off in the middle of applying this work around. Though its not required but its recommended to create a backup of all the data with the help of below steps,
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
So assuming that you are done with all the above mentioned mini pre requisites, you can now head over to the next step where we have summed up a detailed tutorial.
Procedure to Enable Voice Calling in Samsung Galaxy Tab 750 TABLET:
- Download XXLQ3 Modem Package & Voice Calling Zip Package (For users on Stock ICS 4.0.4 Firmware) from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your Galaxy Tab to the computer with the help of original USB cable and place the two downloaded zip files in the device.
- Once placed, disconnect the device from computer. Download “ROM Manager” app from the Google PLAY Store and install the custom recovery image by selecting the appropriate option in the ROM Manager app.
- Now, once the Clock Work Mod recovery gets installed, turn off the tablet so that it can be entered in the recovery mode. Recovery Mode in Galaxy Tab 750 can be entered by pressing the Left Volume Button and Power button till the device boots up in the recovery mode. If the device boots in the normal mode then retry the process of entering the device in the recovery mode.
- You can also try entering the device in the recovery mode via the ROM Manager app itself. Select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard” and navigate the files to select XXLQ3 Modem Package & then the Voice Calling Zip Package which you have placed in your tablet.
- Once the file selection is over, the workaround will be applied within 10 minutes, you can see the progress of update with the help of a progress bar.
Note: If the device gets into the boot loop sequence or say gets stuck in the welcome screen, just re insert the battery and re follow the above instructions so as to again follow the above mentioned instructions.
Congratulations, you have now successfully enabled the Voice calling feature in the Samsung Galaxy Tab 750 / Galaxy Tab 10.1 device. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same.