Samsung Galaxy GIO S5660 users can now feel free when it comes to the update of Ice Cream SANDWICH Android 4.0 firmware version. Though Samsung won’t be officially pushing the update, all thanks to the third party developers who are making it possible when it comes to the ICS Android 4.0 Roll out starting with the Nightly build Cyanogen Mod release which we will be checking out in the due course of this article. There will be some bugs in this firmware version but as in when the new updates come, all the bugs will be addressed. Please be informed that once you root the device, the warranty gets void. The only way with which you can reclaim the warranty is by re applying the official factory firmware. Do let us know which is your factory firmware version and we will guide you to update with the same.
Over a period of this article, we will be checking out on what are the features of this custom ROM firmware and also the list of pre requisites you need to follow and then the detailed tutorial on how to apply the same.
Features & Highlights of Nightly Build for Galaxy GIO:
- Device sources have been rebuilt
- Cleaned up config sources
- Primitive video acceleration
- Rewritten libgralloc
- Removed unused libcopybit
- Enabled QCOM_HARDWARE flag
- Built with Qualcomm stuff
- Cleaned up base Android sources
Disclaimer: Please note that we should not be held responsible in any manner in whole or in parts if any damage is done to your device caused by updating the firmware which is a very unlikely event if you follow the instructions as mentioned in the article including the pre requisites and the procedure to update the phone.
CAUTION: This update should not be applied to the phones which are NETWORK LOCKED DEVICES, if you still continue to update your phone then we cannot guarantee on the consequences.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data present in your Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660 needs to be backed up so as to ensure that just in case if any is lost or corrupted, the same can be restored with the help of below mentioned steps.
Notes – Backup in the mail so that you can then restore manually,
SMS Messages – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts Stored in Phone Memory – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore Videos,
Images, Videos & Files etc.– Copy to internal / External SD Card,
Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Minimum battery charge left in the device should be a minimum of 60% so as to ensure that the phone doesn’t get turn Off in the middle of firmware update.
- All antivirus suites in your computer including the Firewalls should be disabled, while all the antivirus apps in your Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660 should be uninstalled as these tools may interrupt the process of firmware updation.
Important: This procedure only works on Rooted Galaxy Gio S5660 Devices, so ensure that you root your device before applying this firmware
- Enable the USB debugging in your phone from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The USB Debugging option should be ticked.
- Assuming that you have followed all the above mentioned instructions, you can now proceed to the next page where we have summed up a detailed article on how to apply this firmware in your device with a simple to follow tutorial.