Yesterday we saw on how one can easily update their Galaxy S GT I9000 phones with the latest value pack released by Samsung and today in this we will check out on how to root the same. So, before you proceed you need to check whether you are on XXJVU Firmware or not which you can check from the path Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version. Once you confirm the same, you need to proceed to the procedure which is mentioned below. Once you root this firmware, we will see on how one can install the latest version of Ice Cream Sandwich over the next few coming days.
Recommendation: So as to avoid from the data loss / data corruption or say FORCE Close errors, you need to Root the device just after updating the firmware.
Disclaimer: At Android Advices, we have made sure in all respects that all the information regarding the firmware update is mentioned correctly in this article. We should not be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of updating your phone which is very unlikely if you follow the instructions mentioned in the article.
Advantages of Rooting:
- First and Foremost, rooting allows the customizations like it allows the installation of Custom ROMs in the phone.
- Allows you to convert file systems from the laggy RFS to the speedy EXT4,
- Allows you to remove the system apps which come by default with the phone,
- Allows you to apply host of other customizations
Rooting voids the warranty, though it can be reclaimed by updating with the default factory firmware on unlocked phones which doesn’t come with the boot loader lock. So, let’s head to the procedure to root Galaxy S on XXJVU Firmware in the procedure below.
Procedure to Root Samsung Galaxy S on XXJVU Firmware:
- Download XXJVU Rooting package from here in your computer. Extract the same preferably to the desktop, in the process of extraction you will be prompted to enter the password. Enter the password as “androidadvices.com”.
- Once the files are extracted, you need to Open ODIN in your computer and turn off the phone so as to enter it in Download Mode.
- The download mode can be entered by pressing down on Volume Down Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. You can also refer to the video below to know more on how you can enter into the download mode for more convenience.
- Once download mode is entered, connect the phone to the computer using the USB cable and then in the Odin you will see that the ID : COM section will turn yellow which will mean that all the drivers have been successfully updated and you are now ready to proceed to the next step.
- In Odin, click on “PDA” and choose the file “CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVU_2.3.6-v4.3-CWM3RFS” from the extracted files. After selecting and checking the same, click on “Start” to start the rooting process.
- It will take around 4 minutes for the rooting process to be completed. It may sometimes take less time too. As soon as the rooting process is done, the device will be rebooted. To find out whether the device has been successfully rooted or not, you will have to find two additional applications which are “CWM” and the “Super User” which will mean that the phone has been successfully rooted.
- Turn OFF the phone so as to restart in the recovery mode. The recovery mode can be entered by pressing Volume UP on Volume Down Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. You can refer the below mentioned video on how you can enter into the recovery mode.
- In the recovery mode, select Wipe data/factory reset and also you need to select Wipe Cache partition and then reboot your device by selecting reboot system now option. Please note that you will have to ensure that you don’t select any other options or else there is a high probability that you may erase all the data which is even stored in the Internal / External SD card.
- If you face any issues in the process of rooting this firmware then you need to re insert the battery and then again follow the procedure again.
So, in this way you have successfully rooted your Galaxy S running on the Gingerbread 2.3.6 Value pack. Do let us know just in case if you have any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same in the comments section.