How to Update Galaxy S GT I9000 with Stable KitKat 4.4 Android Firmware – Guide
Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 Android Phone is one of the legendary smartphones which unfortunately doesn’t come with the OTA Updates from Samsung as due to hardware limitations Samsung has stopped further updates. So, for all those who wanted to update their phone with the Latest version of Kit Kat 4.4 Android firmware can now easily update the device. So, after following the list of quick pre requisites mentioned below, head over to the detailed guide which will help you update the device. Please note that this is not the official firmware update released by Samsung and is a custom ROM firmware.
-Mackay kernel 0.602 (same is latest JB4.3 0.517 kernel, but renamed to 0.600 to distinguish KK4.4 kernel):
-Christopher86’s cortex-A8 optimized Linaro toolchain (September version)
-updated to linux kernel version 3.0.101
-SLQB memory allocator (default, should be slightly faster)
-XZ compression of kernel & initramfs
-Added Lagfree governor
-ROW scheduler (tweaked, default scheduler)
-FIOPS scheduler (tweaked)
-XZ compression of kernel & initramfs
-many improvements to IO schedulers in general
Quick Pre Requisites:
- First and the foremost thing you need to make sure is the Battery, it should be above 50%. Also, make sure that the USB Debugging is enabled from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, enable the USB Debugging in your device.
- Up next, check on whether your Galaxy S device is rooted or not which can be checked with the help of ROM Manager app. ROM Manager app can be installed from the Google PLAY Store. Just in case if your phone is not rooted, you can root the same with the help of below mentioned steps;
- Just in case if the device is already rooted, with the help of below mentioned steps, you need to back up the data with the help of below steps;
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible / liable in any manner for the damage happened to your Galaxy S due to not following instructions.
Assuming that you are done with all the above mentioned steps, proceed to the next step where we have detailed the list of instructions which will help you update the device.
Procedure to Update Galaxy S GT I9000 with Kit KAT 4.4 Android Firmware:
- Download the Kit Kat 4.4 Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your phone to the computer with the help of original USB cable and place these two zip files in your device.
- Turn Off your Phone so that it can be entered in the Recovery Mode. Recovery mode in Galaxy S GT I9000 can be entered by pressing the Volume Up Key + Menu Button and then press the Power button. Just in case if the device gets turned ON in the normal mode, then you will have to retry the process of entering the device in the Recovery Mode.
- Just in case if your device refuses to enter into the recovery mode, download the “ROM Manager” app from the Google PLAY Store, install custom Recovery image and then enter the device into the recovery mode with the help of ROM Manager.
- In recovery mode, select “install zip from SD Card” to choose the KitKat 4.4 Firmware Package and then the Google Apps Package. Please note that, it might take around 4 – 5 minutes for applying the update. Once updated, select “Go Back” and choose the option of “Reboot System Now” for rebooting the device.
Note: Just in a rare case if the device doesn’t boot up or show the home screen then remove the battery and reinsert the same to boot the device again in the normal mode.
You can check the firmware update from the path “Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version” where the firmware update version will be mentioned. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update as we will try our level best to answer all your queries / issues at the earliest.