After the turn of Google Nexus S, it’s now time for Google Nexus One too will receive the latest 2.3.4 Gingerbread release. Nexus One becomes the second official phone to receive the latest update of 2.3.4. Seems like there’s a benefit of purchasing the co-branded phones, as Google Nexus One and also Samsung’s Google Nexus S as these devices have received Gingerbread 2.3.4 update. Though Google didn’t clarify on by when the 2.3.4 will be rolled out for other devices but we are pretty sure to rope in Gingerbread 2.3.4 for Galaxy S very soon. So, let’s check out on what are the new features in this 2.3.4Gingerbread 2.3.4 version.
New Features in Gingerbread 2.3.4 for Nexus One:
- Just like the Video chat capability in the 2.3.4 update for the Nexus S, it’s unfortunate that just because of no front camera you will not be able to enjoy the benefit of the latest version of Google Talk.
- Most of the bugs have been fixed which are related to the optimization of battery as most of the users have complained about lesser battery life even with the minimal phone usage. Also, most importantly the user interface has been substantially changed a little but not any major changes have taken place.
- For all the Google Maps lovers, a great news for all you as Google implemented the latest version of 5.1 version of Maps along with the 3D view to give an all new visually rich feeling for the Maps.
- Voice search has got a face lift with an all new version of 2.1.1 as it comes along with enhanced voice action capability. Currently this voice search version is only available in the Honeycomb version.
- In this update, the Wi Fi as well as 3G icons both indicate that they are active and also the strange behavior of the phone’s status bar has now been fixed. Battery life has been substantially optimized for providing longer battery life but it doesn’t seem to be longer enough to match the expectations of most of the users. GPS Location as well as the navigation has now been improved with which location problems will be solved leading to the showcase of accurate location. Also, last but not the least please note that this update is not the official update but is the leak which is almost equivalent to the official update which will be rolled out very soon.
So, let’s proceed and see on how you can easily update the latest 2.3.4 update for your Nexus One.
Note : If you have got a super user access in the 2.3.3 update then you this access will be lost once you update with this 2.3.4 and also after the firmware update some of the users might lose their Internet APN Settings, so to access the Internet you will have to again configure the Internet Settings to access Internet and other data services.
Procedure to install the latest 2.3.4 update in Nexus One:
- First up you will have to download the firmware update for Nexus One in your computer and then you will have to connect the Nexus One phone with your computer using the USB cable.
- After downloading the firmware package, you will have to copy the firmware file as it is into your phone, please note that you don’t unzip or modify the file name in any manner or else the update file will not be recognized by the phone and the update.
- So, after the transfer of the file, you will have to turn off the Nexus One phone and need to pull off the USB cable which is connected to the phone and the computer.
- Now, keeping your Nexus One device as switched Off, you will have to hold down the trackball and press the power button so that you can enter your Nexus One into the recovery mode.
- As soon as the phone gets in the recovery mode you will see that the device will be booting in the white screen with the Android robots on the skateboards after which you will have to select the “Bootloader” option and then in the next screen you will have to select “Recovery” option.
- Now, in the next screen you will see that the device is rebooted and then you will see that the Android robot with an exclamation signal will be showing up.
- Now next up press the power button and volume up button at the same time, it could take couple of trials and after that with the help of the trackball you will have to choose “Apply sdcard:update.zip” and then you will have to select the file which you have placed in the phone which is nothing but the update file.
- Just select the same and select the firmware file which you have placed in the phone and then simply press the “Power” button to select the same.
- As soon as you select the firmware zip file, the processing of the update starts and it will take approximate time of 5 – 7 minutes. As soon as processing of the files get’s finished you will see that again recovery mode will be shown in the Nexus S. Now you will have to select the option of “reboot” to reboot the same. After the reboot the home screen will be turned on, just in case if you are prompted to select the language then you will have to select the same.
That’s it, you have now successfully upgraded the Google Nexus One with the latest Android 2.3.4 version. Do, leave a comment below if you come across any of the issues as we are happy to help. Soon we will also come out with a tutorial on how to root Samsung Nexus One 2.3.4. Please note that if you come across any issues then you will have to repeat the whole procedure again from the start so as to update the firmware again. Soon other Android phones too will get Android 2.3.4 version which we will be covering about the same once we get more information.