How To Update Samsung Galaxy Gio S 5660 to Gingerbread XXKPA 2.3.3 Firmware
What will you call when Style meets with the class? Yes, you are correct, it’s Samsung Galaxy Gio S 5660. So, let’s check out the same and see on how you can make the most of your phone. We will not talk of about any sorts of customizations but you will be happy to hear that now you can update your Galaxy Gio with the latest version of Gingerbread which is nothing but 2.3.3 Gingerbread. This 2.3.3 Gingerbread version is dubbed as XXKPA which we will be looking in the due course of this article. But before that ensure that the phone which we will be seeing on how you can update is only Samsung Galaxy Gio S 5560 and nothing else. Apart from this the great part of this is that any one from any part of the World can proceed and update with this version of Gingerbread on Galaxy Gio.
There are several enhancements which have been implemented in this all new update ranging from the better battery backup to a whole new user interface with a whole new inclusion of Green color. Please note that this interface is something new compared to the earlier’s Froyo version. So, in the due course of this article we will see on what are the things which are new and the things which have been included in this version along with the pre upgrade instructions to the procedure to install the same in your phone.
If you have rooted your Samsung Galaxy Gio earlier then you will have to note that updating with this firmware will un root the device, so you will have to root the device again if you wish to after upgrading to the latest 2.3.3 Gingerbread XXKPA. Many of the users also have the locked versions of Galaxy Gio but you will have to note that updating with this firmware may or may not work with your phone so we hold no responsibility if you update the device which is networked locked handset. Irrespective of the version on which you are currently On, you can easily proceed to update your device but it’s very important to follow all the instructions which are given below carefully as if you don’t follow even a single instruction then there is a high possibility that you may end up bricking up your device, so make sure that you follow the instructions below so as to facilitate the smoother firmware update process.
Since you are not rooting the phone, the warranty will not be void and updating with this firmware doesn’t mean that you are rooting the device.
Enhancements in Gingerbread 2.3.3 Update:
- This all new firmware of Gingerbread 2.3.3 improves is the battery performance, general software stability, Wi Fi has been substantially improved and is made much more stable and also the touch responsiveness has been optimized to deliver.
- Also, additionally the video recording has been successfully optimized and now no force close errors will be reported. Camera application now comes along with the advanced tools and also the bug of pink spot for some of the users have now been fixed and also now you can enjoy the benefit of better image quality as well as the greater zooming of image levels have been induced in this.
- Now, the free RAM too is increased and it also releases more RAM to the users directly so that the phone becomes much faster as the RAM availability has been increased to the users so that apps can make use of it and also the start-up time has been marginally reduced by two points. The quadrant speeds have been substantially improved and also the user interface is now much speedier than before. This update is considered as the major update with almost all the fixes.
- Now, all new flash update of 10.3 Adobe flash comes packed along with this update and also most importantly the Google Maps are now updated with this update so as to deliver the 3D Map view.
- Many user also reported the issues regarding the Android Market Place where in users we getting error messages while they are on the slow internet speeds or even sometimes on Wi Fi which now has been solved by this update.
- Many of the users earlier complained about the issues while updating the Samsung Apps but now no more it requires any sorts of intervention as this update will look after all sorts of issues as this will address all the non download issues.
Note: Since the firmware update has been updated, all the APN Settings will be cleared. So, to access all the data services / MMS / Internet, you will have to get the Internet settings from from your Service provider.
Pre Upgrade Instructions:
- Before proceeding to update, you need to ensure that you have synced all your contacts with your Google Account, all sms, applications, videos and music files which are there in your phone should be taken a backup or else the data will be lost. Anything which is in SD card will not be lost, so you can alternatively move to SD Card. If you are planning to store in internal SD Card then it’s preferred to store the data in computer as a backup as in an unlikely event the data in SD Card may get corrupted.
- Next up remove the SIM card as well as the external SD cards if any in your phone, just to make sure that in an unlikely event the data in it doesn’t get corrupted,
- Ensure that you have kept original USB cable handy which you have got with your Samsung Galaxy Gio S 5660,
- Additionally, ensure that your phone has at least more than 50% of battery power left, this is just an advisory which if followed then you will not experience any difficulties as while updation of the device the battery consumption is at a maximum,
- Ensure that your computer / laptop which runs on a XP, Vista or Windows 7 OS the firewall and other antivirus programs are disabled and also you should have admin privileges to download and install the software including the drivers and also along with this you will be requiring the USB port on your computer which supports USB 2.0.
- Last but not the least ensure that your phone is Samsung Galaxy Gio S 5660 and not any other phone as if you proceed installing any other phone then there is a high possibility that you will brick your phone after which your phone will become un usable.
So, after following the pre upgrade instructions now let’s proceed to the instructions with which you can update the Samsung Galaxy Gio S 5660.
Procedure to install Gingerbread 2.3.3 in Samsung Galaxy Gio S 5660:
- Before we proceed for the installation of the firmware, you will have to make sure that you have downloaded the XXKPA 2.3.3 Gingerbread firmware in your computer. Please note that as soon as you download this zip file you will have to unzip the file so as to get the 6 files in all which contains the OPS file and Odin flash tool along with 4 other files which will be responsible for the firmware update. After downloading the zip file, you will have to extract the same so as to get the files which are mentioned below,
- Now, from the extracted files, open the Odin v 4.42 file as shown in the above extracted files and then a new window will be opening up as shown below,
Now, next up as soon as you open the Odin, you will now have to make sure that you put your device in the download mode. The device can be put in the download mode by holding the Volume Down button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device. If you have successfully entered into the download mode then you will see a green screen which is shown below. Also, additionally note that if the device boots in the normal mode with the home screen then you will have to again switch off the device and retry the process and if despite retrying you are unable to get into download mode then you will have to fix the download mode error for your phone.
Now, after this you will have to connect the phone to the computer where you have downloaded and extracted the zip file from the above link. Please note that while connecting the USB cable you will have to make sure that the Odin software is open as mentioned and shown above, as soon as you connect the phone to the Odin, the ID COM block will turn yellow after which you will have to enter the files by clicking on the corresponding options as shown below,
OPS – GIO_v1.0.ops
BOOT – APBOOT_S5660XXKPA_CL258140_REV03_user_low_true.tar.md5,
Phone – MODEM_S5660XXKP7_CL258140_REV03.tar.md5,
PDA – CODE_S5660XXKPA_CL258140_REV03_user_low_true.tar.md5,
CSC – GT-S5660-csc-SERKP4.tar.md5,
- After adding the files, the Odin will look like as shown below, please note that you should not edit any other settings or even add the options and if you have changed any by mistake then you can see in the below screen shot to match the same.
- As soon as you feed in the files, you will have to double check the same and then you will have to proceed and click on the “Start” option to start the firmware update process. After clicking on the start, you will see that the firmware will be installed in your phone within a time of not more than 5 minutes.
Now, you can see that the flashing process is being in process and you will have to make sure that you don’t interrupt the flashing process as this may be fatal for your phone. So, after few minutes of time you will see the Odin screen as shown below,
Now, that’s it as soon as you see that the above screen is shown in the Odin, you will have to wait for the home screen to see in the phone and there you go, you have now successfully installed the latest firmware of 2.3.3 Gingerbread for your Galaxy Gio Android phone. Now, after this you will have reset the phone just to ensure that all the cache data is erased which can be done by following the below step.
For this you will have to first turn off your device, long press the volume up key, press Menu as holding both the buttons press the power button to start. You can see that after device gets switched ON, you will find options like clear cache data. You can clear that by selecting options Wipe data/factory reset and also you need to select Wipe Cache partition after which you need to reboot your device by selecting reboot system now after which your Galaxy S will be rebooting and again you will have to set up your Google accounts etc. Doing this will not only optimize the battery but will also remove all the data flux from your phone. Please note that the image shown below is just for the reference purpose, the actual image may vary.
For checking on which firmware you are currently on, you will have to go to the Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version where you will find the version of Android OS where it will show 2.3.4. As you can see above that we have shown some of the images of latest Gingerbread update of 2.3.3. So, let us know if you face any sorts of issues as we will see to it that all issues are resolved. Alternetively, you can also dial *#1234# to check the version number.