Motorola Droid X – Steps to Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS
Seems like the latest Android version Gingerbread 2.3 is all here even for Motorola Droid which was most awaited. Not officially though but the AOSP package has arrived. Since this build is not a final build you may face some issues related to Accelerometer, SD card mounting functionality and also sadly browsing in 3G mode doesn’t work as of now in this release of AOSP for Droid. But if you are the one who doesn’t use all those as of now, you can very well go ahead and can proceed to install this firmware into your Motorola Droid. This device works perfectly with Google Apps, camera and other standard features like calling and SMS. So, let’s proceed and check out the step by step procedure on installing the Android 2.3 Gingerbread version on your Motorola Droid.
Procedure to install Android Gingerbread 2.3 on your Motorola Droid:
- First of all you will need to download Steinman’s Android 2.3 Gingerbread version for Motorola Droid and save it on your desktop.
- After downloading the Gingerbread version, you need to connect your phone to the computer with the help of USB cable and then you need to mount SD card and then need to extract the downloaded file contents in the root of your SD card.
- You need to now install the install Clockwork Mod Recovery on your phone. This can be either done by planting a manual image or even you can get the ROM Manager and flash it from that application itself.
- So, once you are done with the installation of Clockwork Mod Recovery image is on your device you now have to make use of Root Explorer for copying the Android 2.3 Gingerbread files which are extracted on the SD card to the location /clockwork/backup folder.
- Now reboot your Droid into recovery mode by pressing and holding down the X key on the physical keyboard and the Power until the screen turns on in the recovery mode and then you need to make a backup of all your existing settings. This step is very important as your backup will be your last record the present phone system files which can be restored if anything goes wrong in the installation process.
- So, once you have created the backup of all your precious data then you need to go again to the main menu of the recovery screen and scroll down to Wipe Data / Factory Reset and follow onscreen instructions to reset your phone to factory settings along with wiping data.
- After you have performed Wipe and factory restore, you will have to select the Restore option from the Backup options that is from backups and restore followed then by restore.
- Now you will have to select the Steinmen Nandroid folder and then restore it here. This process will take some time to complete so no worries on that. After the restore is over, just reboot into system from the main menu of the recovery mode.
And then there it is you have successfully upgraded your Droid device’s firmware to Gingerbread 2.3.