How to Root Sony Ericsson Xperia RAY on ICS Android 4.0.3 Firmware
Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray users who have updated to the latest version of ICS too can root their devices as in the due course of this article we will be checking out on how easily you can root your phone. Over a period of this article, we will be checking out a detailed tutorial on what are the list of pre requisites you need to follow along with a detailed tutorial in the next page which will guide you to root your Xperia Ray. Please be informed that once you root the device, the warranty will get void and the only way with which you can reverse the root access by applying the Update again by following the tutorial. Please note that you need to ensure that you are on the ICS firmware Android 4.0.3 version only. if you are on any of the other release of the firmware then this rooting workaround won’t work.
Once you root the device, you can then make use of host of apps and custom ROM firmwares which requires the root access. We will soon be coming out with a host of custom ROM firmwares in the coming days as in when are released by the developers. Please note that you will have to follow the tutorial as its mentioned or else there is a high possibility that you may even brick the device.
Disclaimer: Neither AndroidAdvices, nor developer should be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of following the instructions mentioned in this article. It’s very unlikely that there will be any issues but just in case if at all there are any issues then we are committed to help you in solving the same.
- All the data like SMS, Contacts, Call log, APN, MMS Settings and other data present in your internal SD should be backed up so that just in case if the data gets erased or corrupted, the same can be restored with the help of below mentioned steps. Remove the SIM card as well as SD Card from your phone as its recommended to remove the same.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Disable all the antivirus suites in your computer and uninstall the same in your device as these tools generally tend to interrupt the process of firmware update. You should have the admin rights in your PC along with the active USB ports with full read / write access.
- Minimum charge left in the device should be at least 70% so as to ensure that device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update. ADB Should be installed in your computer without which it’s not possible to make use of this procedure.
- Enable the USB Debugging in your SONY Ericsson Xperia Ray from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The USB Debugging option should be ticked as shown in the below screen capture.
- Ensure that your phone is on the latest version of ICS that is 4.0.3 version. This rooting process won’t work on any other build. Just in case if you are not on ICS, you can apply the same from the corresponding link.
Assuming that you have followed all the above mentioned instructions, you can now proceed to the next page where we have summed up a detailed tutorial on how to apply this update.