Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 was one of the premier handsets in the Samsung family and also its one of the largest selling devices ever. Unfortunately, Samsung has decided to stop the firmware updates to the device and company will mostly won’t be sending across the update of KitKat/ Lollipop 5.0 updates further. While officially it’s not possible to update via OTA updates, you can download the custom ROM firmware and can update the same. So let’s check out on how you can make the most of it by installing the state of the art Lollipop 5.0 Android upgrade via Cyanogen Mod 12 Custom ROM.
Disclaimer: We should not be held liable or responsible in any manner for damage happened to your device due to non-fulfilling of mentioned instructions in this article.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Make sure that your device has 50% battery life and enable USB Debugging Mode which can be enabled from the Settings.
- Backup all necessary data like SMS, Call Log, Internet Settings etc. using necessary apps and then transfer the same to your computer so that the same can be restored once the firmware is updated.
- All the drivers in your computer should be installed in your computer
- Download the “Root Checker” app from Google PLAY Store to check on whether the device is rooted or not. Just in case if your device is not rooted then you can’t apply this firmware update. Let us know in the comments section below so that we can help you in getting your device rooted.
Assuming that you are done with the above mentioned steps, lets proceed on to check on what are the detailed procedure which will help you root the device.
Procedure to Update Galaxy S2 GT I9100 Android Smartphone:
- Download the Lollipop 5.0 Android Firmware Package and Google Apps Package form here to your computer.
- Connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and place the downloaded zip files in your device. Make sure that you are not placing these files deep into the sub folders.
- Disconnect the device so that it can be entered in the recovery mode. Assuming that you have installed the ROM Manager app from Google PLAY Store, enter the device in recovery mode. You can also enter the device in recovery mode via manual method. Recovery mode in Galaxy S2 can be entered by turning Off the device first and then press the Volume Up + Menu button to start the device in the recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, all you need to do is to just select the option of “install zip from sd card” and choose the firmware zip file which you have earlier placed in the device.
- Now, all you need to do is to just follow the on screen instructions for applying this firmware update. Once the firmware is updated successfully, all you need to do is to just do is to select “go back” and choose the option of “clear cache” and clear data options. Please note that whole process of firmware update will take around 5-10 minutes of time.
- After this, you need to select option to reboot the device to turn ON the device in the normal mode.
Note: If your Galaxy S2 GT I9100 fails to turn ON or gets into the boot loop mode, then you need to re insert the battery and re-follow the above mentioned instructions.
So do let us know just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update in the comments section below as we will make sure that your issues are addressed at the earliest