Advisory: This update should not be applied to the phones which are NETWORK LOCKED DEVICES, if you still continue to update your phone then we cannot guarantee on the consequences.
So, in the due course of this article we will speak about on how you can apply this alpha version of Ice Cream Sandwich for your Droid Incredible device powered by HTC. Please note that this is not the official firmware released by HTC and also we don’t have any ETA for the same. Applying this firmware will want you to root the device, once you root the same, the warranty will get void. The only way with which you can reclaim the warranty is by applying the Stock firmware along with which you also need to gain S-ON too which will be a tedious process. The best part of this update is that its dubbed as Android 4.0.3 Firmware.
Disclaimer: Please note that this process of firmware update is not recommended for the basic users and is only recommended for the advanced users. Also, we should not be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in any manner after applying this update.
Note: This firmware should be strictly applied to the devices which bear the model name as “HTC Droid Incredible”. This update if applied to any other phone will brick the device.
What Not Works in this Version :
- USB Mass Storage has some issues, tom fix the same you need to use usb mass storage toggle from market to mount the same
- Camera doesnt work most of the times, it will be solved in the next coming versions,
- WiMAX still doesn’t work in this version of ICS,
- If at all you are facing the Force Close errors then you need to clear the cache from the Recovery mode itself as it will clear off all the cache if there is any.
So, let’s proceed with the list of pre Requisites you need to follow after which we will see the procedure in the next page.
- First and foremost, ensure that your HTC Droid Incredible device is Rooted, if not then you need to root the same as this only works on the Rooted phones wherein you need to turn S Off and unlock the boot loader.
- Backup all your crucial data as mentioned in the below mentioned ways so as to ensure that the data remains safe even after the update as there is a possibility that the data may get lost or get corrupted in the process of firmware update.
Note: Don’t use HTC Sync to back up your data as after the update, it may or may not recognize the phone after the update as it’s a alpha release.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Notes – Manually save the notes in your mail as these will be lost in the process of firmware update
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Up next ensure that the device is left with the minimum of 60% battery charge so as to ensure that the device doesn’t get powered off in the middle of firmware update. Disable all the tools like Security Suites, Firewall tools along with the HTC Sync as these tend to interrupt the update process. The APN Settings are located in this path, Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names, you need to note all these manually on a piece of paper so that you can reconfigure the same.
So, assuming that you have followed all the list of pre Requisistes mentioned above, it’s now time to proceed to the next page where we have compiled a detailed procedure to update your device.
Procedure to Update Droid Incredible with Android 4.0.3 Firmware:
- Download Google Apps Zip Package as well as the ICS Android 4.0.3 Package for Droid Incredible device in your computer and then move these files to your phone by connecting your phone to the computer using the Original USB cable.
- Now, remove the connected USB cable and enable the USB Debugging from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” after which turn off your phone so as to enter the phone in the recovery mode.
- The Boot loader mode in Droid Incredible can be entered by pressing Volume UP Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. Please note that just in case if the device boots up in the normal mode, you need to again try entering into the boot loader mode.
- After entering into the boot loader mode, you need to select the option “Recovery” to enter the device in the recovery mode. Now, in the recovery mode, you need to select “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and then choose the ICS Android 4.0.3 Zip file which you have placed in your phone followed by which you need to select the Zip file of Google Apps which you have placed.
- So as soon as the update is updated successfully, in the recovery mode screen select “++++ Go Back ++++” > “reboot system now” so that the device is re booted successfully. So, that’s it you have now successfully updated your device with the latest version of ICS Android 4.0.3 firmware.
There may be some bugs in this firmware version but over the next few coming days we will see an improved version coming up for which you need to stay tuned to AndroidADVICES.COM. Do leave comments below just in case if you face any issues as we will try to address the same at the earliest.