Procedure to install the Custom Recovery Image:
- First up you will have to install the fastboot in your computer for installing the custom recovery image. You will now have to download the Clock Work Mod Recovery in your computer.
- Now, copy this downloaded “custom recovery image” to the same folder of that of “/Platform-tools” which is there in the Android SDK Folder. After this you will have to connect the HTC Evo Shift 4G to the computer using the USB cable which you got at the time of purchase.
- Now, in your computer you will have to open the terminal and run the following commands which are shown below.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, after this the phone will be rebooted and as soon as the phone gets booted, fast boot to continue.
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-188.8.131.52-speedy.img
Now, after this the clock Work Mod recovery will be successfully installed in the HTC Evo Shift 4G.
Procedure to Flash Cyanogen Mod 7.1 Gingerbread 2.3.7 in HTC Evo Shift 4G:
- After downloading the Cyanogen mod 7.1 update for HTC Evo Shift 4G along with the Google Apps in your computer or Laptop, you will now need to proceed to connect the HTC Evo 4G Phone to the computer or laptop and then copy these two files in your phone in the root of the phone and not in any of the folders in your phone or else it will not be detecting the update file.
- After copying the files to your phone you will have to turn off the phone so that then you can enter into the recovery mode. The recovery mode in the HTC Shift EVO 4G can be entered by pressing the Volume down button and then pressing the Power button after which the recovery screen will be shown.
- Now, upon entering into the recovery mode you will now need to proceed to select the option of “Clear Storage” which will clear off all the cache data which is there in your phone right from the junk files to the files which are created by the current firmware. After this you need to select the option of “install zip from SD Card” and select “Choose zip from SD Card” after which there will be a list of files shown which are there in the phone out of which you need to choose the file which is named as “”. Once you select the files you will now need to wait till the update is flashed in your phone.
- Just in case if you are getting an error of something like “E: Signature Verification Failed” then you will have to again follow the above procedure to root the phone.
- Now, you will have to select the option of “install zip from SD Card” > “Choose zip from SD Card” and then select the Zip file of Google Apps which you have downloaded from the step mentioned above.
- Now, after this you will see that the device will be rebooted in its own after finishing the process or else you need to manually reboot he device by selecting the option of ”++++ Go back++++” option and choose the option of “Reboot System Now”.
So, that’s it you have now successfully updated the phone with this Cyanogen Mod 7.1 update. Just in case if you are not updated to this version of Cyanogen Mod 7.1 release then you will have to follow the below instructions which are mentioned below.
ROM Manager Method:
- From your device, you will need to download the ROM Manager Application from the Android Market Place and need to download and install the same. Once the ROM Manager is installed you will now have to open the same.
- In the ROM Manager application, you will see an option of Backing up the ROM. It’s always better to backup the ROM as if just in case if anything goes wrong in the process of firmware update then you can restore the original ROM at any point of time.
- Now, after this you will have to choose the option of “install zip from SD Card” > “Choose zip from SD Card” and then select the Zip file of both the Cyanogen firmware file as well as the Google Apps.
That’s it you have now successfully updated the phone with the latest version of Cyanogen Mod 7.1 update. Just in case if you still have any issues then do let us know in the comments section about the same so that we can then come out with the solution at the earliest.