Finally HTC has taken a call to push the latest update of 2.11.605.19 to its Thunderbolt 4G device and has addressed most of the bugs and in the due course of the article we will be checking out on how you can manually update with the same. Though HTC has pushed the update, this update will only hit the devices who are on the Official factory firmware, just in case if you are on any of the beta firmwares or on the custom ROM firmwares, then this update can only be availed by manually updating. Please note that this is an Official firmware released by HTC. Please note that this is not the ICS Android 4.0 firmware, as of now there is no ETA on by when there will be an official update of ICS officially.
Disclaimer: Neither we, nor HTC should be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of following the instructions mentioned in this article. It’s very unlikely that there will be any issues but just in case if at all there are any issues then we are committed to help you in solving the same.
Note: Please note that you will have to ensure that the device is a locked device and the boot loader should not be unlocked.
Rooting Information: Applying this update doesn’t mean that you need to root the device before & also the device will not get rooted after applying this update. Just in case if your device is rooted, after applying this update the rooting access will be revoked. We will soon come up with the rooting process at the earliest.
In the process of this article we will be checking out on what are the list of pre requisites you need to follow and then followed by which we will be checking out on the detailed tutorial in the next page.
- Support for CMAS (Commercial Mobile Alert System) has been added,
- IPV6 over eHRPD has been induced,
- Issues related to mobile Hotspot disconnecting has been added,
- Supports Cisco Any Connect VPN App,
- VZ Navigation has been updated to 184.108.40.206,
- Volume adjusted when in HAC mode
- URL for VVM updated
- Birthday mismatch while adding birthday and saving to contacts BUA+ updates
- Device stability fixes have been added
- Facebook picture downloads have been added
Essential Pre Requisites:
- All the data present in your HTC Thunderbolt should be backed up as in the process of applying this update, the data might get either lost or corrupted. With the help of below mentioned steps you can easily backup the same
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Minimum charge left in the device should be at least 70% so as to ensure that device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
- Enable the USB Debugging in your HTC Thunderbolt from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The USB Debugging option should be ticked. (Below image is just for Illustration and may differ in your device)
- Just in case of you are on the custom ROM firmware, you need to ensure that you have disabled the Lag fixes if any installed from the recovery mode. You also need to ensure that the Dalvik Cache in your phone too is wiped off so as to ensure that just in case if any data cache is there that too is wiped off completely.
So assuming that you have followed all the above mentioned instructions, you now need to proceed to the next page where we have summed up a detailed tutorial on how to apply this update.