Moto X 1st and 2Nd generation of smartphones are one of the most popular smartphones around the globe and for all those who have updated their devices with the latest Lollipop 5.0 Android OS in them can now root their smartphones. Once rooted, one can then install the custom ROM firmwares along with the apps which needs root access. While Lollipop 5.0 Android OS comes with the goodness of 5000+ APIs, custom ROM manufacturers are trying hard to come up with the fresh set of custom ROMs so as to maximize the use of Lollipop OS.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Backup all your data with the help of below mentioned steps and manually in your Moto X. Don’t use any automated tools for backing the data as it won’t help you restore the data.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Make sure that your device has 50% battery life and enable USB Debugging Mode which can be enabled from the Settings.
- Download and install Moto X drivers in your computer as it will help you connect your device to the computer. If you have installed the drivers then you need to restart the computer once.
Let’s proceed to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide which will help you root the device.
Procedure to Root Moto X 1st and 2Nd generation smartphones on Lollipop 5.0:
- Download CF Root file for your Moto X 1st and 2nd generation from the below mentioned links. Once downloaded, all you need to do is to just unzip the same.
Moto X 2nd Gen XT1097: CF-Auto-Root-victara-victararetbr-xt1097.zip
Moto X 1st Gen XT1052: CF-Auto-Root-ghost-ghostretgb-xt1052.zip
- Turn off your Moto X Android smartphone so that it can be entered in the boot loader mode. Press Volume Down + Volume Up and then press the power button to enter the device in the boot loader mode.
- Connect your Moto X via original USB cable to the computer in the boot loader mode.
- Double click on the root-windows.bat file and follow the on screen instructions as mentioned below for rooting the device. Note that the system should have full USB read/ write access.
- Please note that it will take around 4-5 minutes for rooting the device and once rooted, download the “Root Checker” app from the Google Play Store to check on whether the device is rooted or not.
Note: If your Moto X gets into the boot loop mode, you need to long press the power button to turn off and then restart the device to follow the instructions got rooting the device again.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of rooting. In coming days to come we will also be coming out with the articles which will help you install the custom ROM firmwares.