Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 might have been named as “Advanced”, but Samsung doesn’t recognize it as advanced to accommodate the Kitkat 4.4.2 Android OS citing RAM and other hardware concerns. So, for all those users who wanted to install the latest version of Kitkat 4.4.2 Android firmware can now manually update the same. Unfortunately, Samsung won’t be coming out with the official firmware update but all thanks to the custom ROM firmware makers who have made it possible. After checking out the list of quick pre requisites mentioned below, we will be checking out on how you can apply this firmware.
Note: This update is the custom ROM firmware and not the official firmware released by Samsung.
- All the data in your Samsung Galaxy S Advance i9070 needs to be backed up with the help of below mentioned steps and not with the Samsung KIES so as to make sure that the data can be restored manually.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Head over to the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” in your Samsung Galaxy S Advance so as to enable the USB Debugging Mode. Battery charge left in your device needs to be a minimum of 60% or else device might get turn off in the middle of firmware update.
- Since this is the custom ROM firmware, you need to make sure that your phone is rooted. Download “Root Checker” app. Just in case if your device is not rooted, you can root the same with the help of below mentioned steps.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible in any manner for any damage happened to your Galaxy S Advance which is very unlikely if you follow the instructions carefully.
So let’s proceed to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide which will help you upgrade the firmware of your Galaxy S Advance.
Procedure to Update Samsung Galaxy S Advance with Kitkat 4.4.2 Android Firmware:
- Download Cyanogen Mod 11 Firmware Package and Google Apps Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, you need to place the same in your device.
- Turn off the device so that it can be entered in the recovery mode.
- Press and hold Home + Power + Volume Up buttons to enter the device in the Recovery Mode. If your Galaxy S Advance enters in the Normal mode, then you need to re try the process of entering the device in the Recovery Mode.
- In recovery mode, select Clear Data” and “Wipe Cache” to clear the data and wipe the cache present in your phone.
- Once the data is cleared, select the option of “install zip from sd card” and then select the firmware zip file which you have placed in the device and then followed by the Google Apps Package. It will take around 4 -5 minutes to apply both the zip files in your device.
- Once done, select “go back” and choose the option of “reboot in normal mode” for rebooting the device normally. Please note that it may sometime take more than 3 -4 minutes for rebooting the device in the normal mode.
Note: If at all your Galaxy S Advance gets in the boot loop sequence then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off you can reinsert the battery or say you can long press the power button.
While there are many custom ROM firmwares available for Galaxy S Advance Android phone, we will continue to come up with the custom ROMs which will help you make the most of your device. So there you go, you have now successfully updated your device with the latest version of KITKAT 4.4.2 in your Galaxy S Advance.