SONY Xperia S Android smartphone was the device which was launched in the year 2012 and now SONY has best left it to the users to use this device without any further updates. While this is almost the same old story for most of the devices, we will help you out on how you can apply the Android 5.0 Lollipop update manually with the help of custom ROM firmwares. The best part is that this one is the latest one and comes with the below mentioned change log as well and is 5.0.1 version.
- Memory management improvement
- kernel: zram patch for ARM compatibility + swap support
- enable swap with 1 zram device set to 100MB by default (zram is a compressed device in memory)
- revert to more conservative oom/ low memory values
- kernel: bug fix
- battery capacity set to 1750
So after checking out on what are the list of quick pre requisites mentioned below, let’s head over to the next step where we have detailed the procedure to update.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your Xperia S device should be backed up with the help of manual steps and not with any sorts of PC Suites as it may not help you restore the device data. Below steps can be used to create the backup.
SMS – SMS Backup and Restore App (after taking backup, copy the source file in your computer)
Call Log – Call Log Backup and Restore app (after taking backup, copy the source file in your computer)
Contacts – Backup in your Gmail / make use of app like Contacts Backup and Restore,
Local Files (Images. Downloads, Bluetooth etc.) – Connect your device to computer and copy the files to your computer.
- Make sure that your device has 50% battery life and enable USB Debugging Mode which can be enabled from the Settings.
Let’s proceed to the next step where we have detailed the procedure which will help you update the device.
Procedure to Update SONY Xperia S with Lollipop 5.0.1 android OS:
- Assuming that your Xperia S is rooted which can be checked with the help of “Root Checker” app, you need to now download the TWRP recovery image and flash the same in the recovery mode in your Xperia S.
- Download TWRP recovery image and Android 5.0.1 ROM package from here to your computer an place the same in your device.
- Now, you need to enter the device in the boot loader mode. Turn Off your device and Press the Volume Up button and connect the phone to the computer with original USB cable by holding the Volume Up button.
- In recovery mode, you need to now flash the boot.img file from the nAOSProm and reboot the device in the recovery mode / TWRP mode. Flash the ROM in your device which you have placed in your device earlier.
- It will take around 3-4 minutes for applying the update and once done the phone will be rebooted.
Note: Just in case if your device gets in the boot loop mode or for gets stuck, all you need to do is to just repeat the above process by rebooting the device which can be done by long pressing the power button.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update.