For installing the Cyanogen MOD Custom ROM, there are two methods with which you can install this custom ROM in your phone, one is by using the Recovery mode and another one is via the ROM Manager method. It’s recommended to first apply the Cyanogen MOD 7.1 firmware using the Recovery method, if it fails to get updated then you need to try the ROM Manager method which we will see in the due course of the article.
- Download the Cyanogen MOD Custom ROM Zip Package in your computer along with the Google Apps. Once you finish downloading, you need to now turn Off the phone
- After this, turn Off the phone so as to enter the device in the boot loader mode. The boot loader mode in the Motorola Droid X can be entered by holding down Volume Down, the Camera & the Power buttons. If the device boots normally, you need to try again to enter into the same.
- Up next in the boot loader mode, you need to select “Recovery” and then select the option of “Wipe data / Factory Reset” and “Wipe cache partition” to clear all the cache files if any present in your phone.
- After this you will have to select the option of “Install Zip from SD CARD” and “Choose zip from sd card” to select the Cyanogen MOD 7.1 Custom ROM followed by the Google Apps zip file which you placed in the device.
- Once the files are installed successfully, you need to select “++++ Go Back ++++” and select the option of “Reboot System Now” option to restart the phone
Now, if you face any issues in the process of the update then you need to re insert the battery and repeat the whole procedure which is mentioned below and just in a rare case if still you are unable to update then you need to follow the ROM Manage method which we will be checking out below.
ROM Manager Method:
- Download the ROM Manager application in your phone from the Android Market Place Open the ROM Manager application and select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery to update to the latest version.
- Choose “Download ROM” option from the main menu in the ROM Manager.
- After selecting the Cyanogen MOD Rom you need to select Google Apps. Once you select the files and the process gets completed, you can opt for selecting Backup Existing ROM and Wipe Data and Cache.
- Just in case if the super user prompts for the root permissions check to Remember and then Allow.
- Motorola Droid X will be rebooting again in the recovery mode where you need to select the option of “Wipe data / Factory Reset” and “Wipe cache partition” to clear all the cache files if any present in your phone.
- Once the files are installed successfully, you need to select “++++ Go Back ++++” and select the option of “Reboot System Now” option to restart the phone.
So, in this way you have successfully updated your Motorola Droid X handset with the latest firmware of Cyanogen Mod 7 update. Do let us know just in case if you face any issues in the comments section as we will try to fix the same as soon as possible.