The BIG Android BBQ is here and under this movement we will be guiding you on how to apply the latest jellybean 4.2 firmware update in your SONY Xperia Arc S smartphone. All thanks to the recognized XDA developer Zackconsole for coming up with this firmware update. So, before we proceed we will be checking out on what are the quick pre requisites you will have to follow so as to make sure that the firmware update goes through successfully. Unfortunately, there is no ETA on by when there will be official updates rolled out by SONY but all thanks to the custom ROM firmware developers who really work hard to come out with the latest updates.
The best part of this is that this one ropes in the latest Jellybean 4.2 firmware and also it comes with all the latest Jellybean 4.2 apps including the latest camera, gesture keyboard and many other latest features of Jellybean. Though there are some bugs in this firmware, the same will be addressed in the coming days.
Express Pre Requisites:
- Create a backup of all the data present in your device as there is a very high possibility that the data might just get corrupted / lost in the midst of firmware update process.
Note: Don’t backup the data with the help of ROM Manager or with the PC Companion.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- From the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, enable the USB Debugging, ensure that the USB debugging option is ticked. Ensure that your SONY Xperia ARC S is left with the minimum of 30% so as to make sure that it doesn’t get turned off in the middle of firmware update.
Disclaimer: It’s our kind request that, kindly follow all the instructions properly in this article or else your phone might just get bricked for which we should not be held responsible.
- Since this is the custom ROM firmware, you need to make sure that your phone is rooted. To check the same, you need to download the “Root CHECKER” app from the Google PLAY Store. Also, the bootloader in your device should be unlocked.
Once you are done with the above mentioned steps, you can now head over to the next step where we have jotted a detailed guide which will help you upgrade the firmware of your XPERIA ARC S with the Jellybean 4.2 firmware.
Procedure to Update SONY Xperia Arc S with JELLYBEAN 4.2 Firmware:
- Download the Jellybean 4.2 for Xperia ARC S package from here to your computer long with the Google Apps package. Once downloaded, connect your device to the computer.
- Place the two files in your phone and disconnect the device from computer to enter the device in the recovery mode from the ROM Manager app.
- In ROM Manager app, select “Wipe data/factory reset” & “Wipe Cache partition” so that all the cache data will be cleared.
- Now, select “install zip from sd card” and choose the firmware zip package and then the Google Apps package.
- It will take around 4 – 5 minutes for applying the update. As soon as the firmware is updated successfully, you should see the message as “install from sd card completed” and then select “go back” with the help of volume rocker keys and “reboot system now” for rebooting the device in the normal mode.
Tip: If your Xperia Arc S doesn’t power up or say it gets into the boot loop mode, you need to re insert the battery and then re try the process of firmware update by following the above steps.
Head over to the path “Settings > About Phone” in your Xperia Arc S to check whether firmware has been updated or not. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same.