Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo I9300i Android smartphone can now be upgraded with the latest version of Lollipop 5.0.2 Android OS. All thanks to the Cyanogen Mod team for coming out with this firmware which comes with the latest OS and also the features which are currently not there in the ICS / any other custom ROMs. Please note that, this is the custom ROM firmware and not the official firmware update released by Samsung. Unfortunately, there are no plans by Samsung about 5.0.2 Android OS update for Galaxy S3 Neo. So let’s check out on how you can install the latest version of firmware update along with the detailed list of quick pre requisites and procedure to install the latest firmware update. We have also added the screen captures below for your convenience.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible or liable in any manner for any damage caused due to not following the instructions mentioned in this article.
Custom ROM Information:
- ROM OS version: 5.0.x Lollipop
- ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
- ROM firmware required: Stock
- Based on: CyanogenMod
- Status: Stable
- Current stable version: cm-12-20141227
- Created on: 24 December
- Force Close issues in Camera (occasional)
- NFC is not working
Essential Pre Conditions:
- Galaxy S3 Neo I9300 should be left with a minimum of 50% battery life.
- Your Windows computer should have Full USB Read/ Write access &
- Create the backup of all the data in your Galaxy S3 Neo I9300i manually and not with KIES. You will have to take the manual backup of contacts, SMS, call log and other files like photos, documents and videos/ music to your computer.
Since this is the custom ROM firmware, you need to make sure that your device is rooted. To check on whether the device is rooted or not, check the same from the “Root Checker” app which can be downloaded from Google PLAY Store.
Procedure to Update Galaxy S3 Neo I9300i with Lollipop 5.0.2 Android OS:
- Download the Cyanogen Mod 12 and Google Apps Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your phone to the computer and place these 2 files in your device.
- Disconnect the device from computer and turn off your device so that it can be entered in the Recovery mode. Galaxy S3 Neo can be entered into the Download mode by holding the Volume Up button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device.
- In recovery mode, select “clear cache” and also “clear cache” by choosing the respective options. Up next, select “install zip from sd card” and then choose the zip firmware zip file and then the Google Apps Zip file to install the same.
- The firmware update process will take around 3 -4 minutes and once done, the device will be rebooted.
Note: If the device gets into the boot loop sequence or say gets stuck in the welcome screen, just long press the power button and re follow the above instructions so as to again follow the above mentioned instructions.
So there you go, you have now successfully updated your device with the latest version of Lollipop 5.0.2 in your Galaxy S3 Neo. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of rooting the device.