How To Update Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 to Gingerbread XWKDD 2.3.3 Firmware
For all those who have bought the latest Samsung Galaxy S II GT I9100, straightaway gets first leaked firmware which is dubbed as XWKDD 2.3.3. Though this firmware is the latest firmware, there are some minor bugs which are sorted out in this custom beta version. Please note that this update is not the official firmware which is released by Samsung Electronics but it’s a beta release which Samsung releases for its beta testers to test the same. So just like we simplify the firmware update procedures for other handsets like Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000, Samsung Galaxy Ace, to name a few but a whole list can be found by using the search option above.
Since this is the first firmware update, follow the instructions which are mentioned below carefully as if not following the below instructions, you may brick your phone. Right from the pre requisites to the complete upgrade instructions, follow every single instruction so as to facilitate the smoother firmware update. Additionally, please note that flashing with this firmware will not void the warranty in any manner and also upgrading with this firmware won’t root the Galaxy S 2 I9100 and hence the warranty is intact.
Pre Upgrade Instructions:
- Before proceeding to update, you need to ensure that you have synced all your contacts with your Google Account, all sms, applications, videos and music files which are there in your phone should be taken a backup or else the data will be lost. Anything which is in SD card will not be lost, so you can alternatively move to SD Card. If you are planning to store in internal SD Card then it’s preferred to store the data in computer as a backup as in an unlikely event the data in SD Card may get corrupted.
- Next up remove the SIM card as well as the external SD cards if any in your phone, just to make sure that in an unlikely event the data in it doesn’t get corrupted,
- Ensure that you have kept original USB cable handy which you have got with your Galaxy S II GT I9100,
- Additionally, ensure that your phone has at least more than 50% of battery power left, this is just an advisory which if followed then you will not experience any difficulties as while updation of the device the battery consumption is at a maximum,
- Ensure that your computer / laptop which runs on a XP, Vista or Windows 7 OS the firewall and other antivirus programs are disabled and also you should have admin privileges to download and install the software including the drivers and also along with this you will be requiring the USB port on your computer which supports USB 2.0.
- Last but not the least ensure that your phone is Samsung Galaxy S II GT I 9100 and not any other phone as if you proceed installing any other phone then there is a high possibility that you will brick your phone after which your phone will become un usable.
Procedure to update Samsung Galaxy S II with Gingerbread XWKDD 2.3.3:
- After downloading the Firmware update package which contains items like Odin, firmware file, EXT 4 PIT which will be helpful in the firmware updation process. Also, as soon as you download the zip file, you will have to extract the same and in the process of extraction, if you are prompted to enter in the password then you will have to enter the password as androidadvices.com and after the extraction you will get the above mentioned 3 files as shown below,
- Please note that after you extract the main folder to get the above three files, you will have to again extract the folder “I9100XWKDD_XXKDC_XXKDH” to get a single file “I9100XWKDD_I9100XXKDH_I9100OXXKDC_HOME” which is nothing but the PDA file which we will be using in the due course of the time.
- Now, from the extracted files, open the Odin3 v 1.83 file as shown in the above extracted files and then a new window will be opening up as shown below,
- Keeping the Odin window as it is, next up you will have to ensure that you put your phone into download mode. Now, switch off the phone and ensure that you take out any SD Card as well as SIM card if any and keep your phone in the switch off mode. Download mode in Galaxy S II can be entered by pressing down on Volume Down button + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. You can also refer the below picture if you are unable to enter into the download mode.
- As shown above the download mode screen will look like the green Android Logo, after this you will have to connect your phone to the computer in which Odin is open with the help of USB cable. As soon as you connect the phone, you will see that first ID:COM box as shown below will turn yellow and in the message box you will see that it will show ADDED as shown in the below snapshot.
- Now, as soon as phone is connected, you simply need to select the files as mentioned below, without changing any parameters as shown in the below screen shot. You will have to select the below mentioned files from the package which you have downloaded and extracted as mentioned above,
PIT – EXT4.pit
PDA – I9100XWKDD_I9100XXKDH_I9100OXXKDC_HOME
- Apart from the above two don’t select any of the other options as then your phone may get dead too. So, now as soon as you enter in the fields with the above mentioned files, you will have to click on the Start option to proceed for the updation process after which the device upgradation process starts as shown below,
So, once the firmware updation is completed, you will see that the device will be restarted and after which you will have to pull off the USB cable from your phone. Now, as soon as the update is applied into the phone, the phone will process the update at the final stage which will be shown just like the below mentioned screen as in the message box you will see the message as “PASS” which shows that the firmware update was successful. Since there is a cache memory of the previous firmware gets stored in the device, you will have to clear the same and which can be done by performing the full reset by dialing the short code *2767*3855# and then you will see that all the cache is cleared successfully. To check that version has been successfully updated or not you will have to type in the code as “*#1234#”. Do, let us know if you encounter with any of the problems as we will ensure that all problems are solved.
Note: Since the firmware update has been updated, all the APN Settings will be cleared. So, to access all the data services / MMS / Internet, you will have to get the Internet settings from from your Service provider.