How To Update Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 to Gingerbread XWKE7 2.3.3 Firmware
Great news for all Samsung Galaxy S II GT I9100 users as its now spreading its wings across the Globe, with the launch of Samsung Galaxy S II in India today, one more market has opened up for Samsung Galaxy S2. In India Samsung Galaxy S 2 I9100 is priced at 32, 280 INR and comes along with host of other features like Android 2.3 Gingerbread version of firmware, Samsung Exynos 1.2 GHz dual core processor for faster processing speed, Near Field Chip, latest Bluetooth 3.0 with Enhanced Data Rate and also sports the USB, Wi Fi with b/g/n support, Wi Fi direct, 16GB of internal storage capability, DLNA, 8 MP camera along with the 2 MP front camera with clear video calling capability. Along with that there are host of other features which are packed in this phone. For complete coverage on the specifications and review about this phone you can read the Complete review of Samsung Galaxy S2. This phone of Samsung Galaxy S2 is priced bit costlier than the LG Optimus 2x by just over Rs. 2000 and is cheaper than Apple iPhone 4 which too will be launched in India on 27th of this month.
So, for all those who have managed to get the Samsung Galaxy S2, let’s check out on how you can straightaway update your phone with the latest version of Gingerbread 2.3.3 which is dubbed as the version XWKE7. Please note that this version of XWKE7 is the KIES release and is being pushed as an update in select countries. Please note that if you have updated the device earlier to the XWKE2 or if your current version is XWKE2 then just connect your phone with the latest KIES 2 software application to get the update automatically on your phone. If the device’s current version is not 2.3.3 Gingerbread XWKE2 then too not to worry as we will tell you on how you can easily update your phone with the latest firmware of XWKE7 2.3.3 Gingerbread version. If there is any type of tegrak or Voodoo lag fixes are applied then you will have to turn off the same as this will interrupt the firmware updation process. If the lag fixes are not disabled then there is huge risk of bricking the device as these lag fixes basically locks the handsets since these changes the file systems of the phones.
There are quite a few improvements have been done in this all new firmware version of XWKE7 which are mentioned below. But it’s very important to note that before you proceed you will have to go through the below pre update instructions carefully just to ensure that no problems are experienced in the firmware updation process. This new firmware update is having the base band version of XXKE4 and the kernel version is of version 126.96.36.199 – I9100XWKE7 – CL215725. Please note that if the kernel version differs you will have to flash or upgrade the device again as if it doesn’t match then it means that the firmware is not installed successfully. So, let’s check out the improvements in the firmware version of XWKE7.
Improvements in XWKE7 2.3.3 Gingerbread:
- Background picture in the Menu has been improved and is now made to a darker looking image compared to the earlier’s light image.
- Samsung Apps application now comes with all the latest DNS updates and the frequent download error has been fixed. With this bug most of the users were facing issues while downloading the application as application used to download just 40 – 50% and just hangs over there.
- Many users also reported and had problems with the Android Market Place as the applications from the Market place used to download twice despite selected for just once to download.
- Compared to the earlier battery life, the battery life has now been substantially increased so as to facilitate longer battery life and the battery powers of 1650 mah has been perfectly optimized for better battery backup, stand by and talk time.
- Now, the free RAM too is increased and it also releases more RAM to the users directly so that the phone becomes much faster as the RAM availability has been increased to the users so that apps can make use of it and also the start-up time has been marginally reduced by two points.
- Camera application now comes along with the advanced tools and also the bug of pink spot for some of the users have now been fixed and also now you can enjoy the benefit of better image quality as well as the greater zooming of image levels.
- The quadrant speeds have been substantially improved and also the user interface is now much speedier than before. This update is considered as the major update with almost all the fixes.
- Also, if you have additionally increased the processing speed then too its recommended to set it to the normal or else it will create un necessary hinderence in the firmware update process.
Pre Upgrade Instructions:
- Before proceeding to update, you need to ensure that you have synced all your contacts with your Google Account, all sms, applications, videos and music files which are there in your phone should be taken a backup or else the data will be lost. Anything which is in SD card will not be lost, so you can alternatively move to SD Card. If you are planning to store in internal SD Card then it’s preferred to store the data in computer as a backup as in an unlikely event the data in SD Card may get corrupted.
- Next up remove the SIM card as well as the external SD cards if any in your phone, just to make sure that in an unlikely event the data in it doesn’t get corrupted,
- Ensure that you have kept original USB cable handy which you have got with your Galaxy S II GT I9100,
- Additionally, ensure that your phone has at least more than 50% of battery power left, this is just an advisory which if followed then you will not experience any difficulties as while updation of the device the battery consumption is at a maximum,
- Ensure that your computer / laptop which runs on a XP, Vista or Windows 7 OS the firewall and other antivirus programs are disabled and also you should have admin privileges to download and install the software including the drivers and also along with this you will be requiring the USB port on your computer which supports USB 2.0.
- Last but not the least ensure that your phone is Samsung Galaxy S II GT I 9100 and not any other phone as if you proceed installing any other phone then there is a high possibility that you will brick your phone after which your phone will become un usable.
So, after following the pre upgrade instructions now let’s proceed to the instructions with which you can update the Samsung Galaxy S 2 GT I9100.
Note: Since the firmware update has been updated, all the APN Settings will be cleared. So, to access all the data services / MMS / Internet, you will have to get the Internet settings from from your Service provider.
Procedure to update Samsung Galaxy S II GT I9100 to XWKE7:
- Before we proceed for the installation of the firmware, you will have to make sure that you have downloaded the XWKE7 2.3.3 Gingerbread firmware in your computer. Please note that as soon as you download this zip file you will have to unzip the file so as to get the two files which are named as I9100XWKE7_I9100XXKE4_I9100XEUKD1_HOME which is the firmware file and the second one is the Odin software tool which will be helpful in updating the firmware.
- Now, from the extracted files, open the Odin3 v 1.83 file as shown in the above extracted files and then a new window will be opening up as shown below,
- Now, up next you will have to keep the Odin software tool as opened in your computer and then after this you will have to put your phone into download mode. Now, switch off the phone and ensure that you take out any SD Card as well as SIM card if any and keep your phone in the switch off mode. Download mode in Galaxy S II can be entered by pressing down on Volume Down button + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. You can also refer the below picture if you are unable to enter into the download mode for reference on how to turn ON the download mode.
- Now, after you see the above screen on your phone, you will have to connect your phone to the computer in which Odin is open with the help of USB cable. As soon as you connect the phone, you will see that first ID:COM box as shown below will turn yellow and in the message box you will see that it will show ADDED as shown in the below snapshot.
- So, up next you are ready for initiating the firmware updation process. Now, all you need to do is to just click on the PDA option in the Odin and then you will have to select the file which you have extracted after downloading the firmware which is named as I9100XWKE7_I9100XXKE4_I9100XEUKD1_HOME.
PDA – I9100XWKE7_I9100XXKE4_I9100XEUKD1_HOME
- After selecting the file, ensure that you haven’t added the PIT file and also don’t tick on the Re-Partition field as this will spoil the phone and may also brick the phone in some cases. So, now as soon as you enter in the fields with the above mentioned files, you will have to click on the Start option to proceed for the updation process after which the device upgradation process starts as shown below,
- Now, as soon as the update is applied into the phone, the phone will process the update at the final stage which will be shown just like the below mentioned screen as in the message box you will see the message as “PASS” which shows that the firmware update was successful.
There you go, as soon as the updation of the Samsung Galaxy S2 is finished you will see that the device will be rebooting, as soon as the device is rebooted you will have to simply pull of the USB cable after you see the home screen on your phone. Since there is a cache memory of the previous firmware gets stored in the device, you will have to clear the same and which can be done by performing the full reset by dialing the short code *2767*3855# and then you will see that all the cache is cleared successfully. To check that version has been successfully updated or not you will have to type in the code as “*#1234#”.
Do, let us know if you face any of the problems as we will ensure that all problems are solved. Just in case if you have encountered with any issue or say if the firmware is interrupted in between then no need to panic as all you need to do is to just follow the upgrade instructions from the start so that the firmware is installed successfully.