Update: Samsung Galaxy S4 running on the Exynos chipset has got the much anticipated Lollipop update in India. The Android 5.0.1 Lollipop update is reportedly rolling out over-the-air (OTA) and is around 990MB in size. Galaxy S4 is the second Galaxy flagship phone to get the Lollipop update. India is the second country after Russia to get the update.
The update, apart from bringing the Material Design UI of Lollipop, features Samsung’s own TouchWiz interface skinned on top, and brings changes to the notification panel, includes Guest mode, and adds Android Smart Lock, apart from improving overall performance, security and battery life.
Samsung Galaxy S4 was launched in March 2013. It has a 5 inch FullHD Super AMOLED display with a pixel density of 441ppi.The phone is powered by an Exynos 5 Octa 5410 chipset that is backed up by 2GB RAM. On the camera front, the phone sports a 13 megapixel primary camera and a 2 megapixel secondary camera.
Those users who cannot wait for the OTA update to roll out to them, you can follow the guide given below:
Steps to Manually Update Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android 5.0 Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy S4 Android device can now be updated with the latest version of Lollipop 5.0 Android OS. This is the official firmware from Samsung and will soon be pushed to the devices as early as next month. This new update comes with the So let’s check out on what are the quick pre requisites after which we will be checking out on how you can update with this firmware update with the detailed steps. The best part of this new update is that it comes with the improved version of Touch Wiz. This update of Lollipop 5.0 comes with all the goodness and features of Android 5.0 which are otherwise only available for the Nexus range of devices. We have also mentioned the screen captures of this firmware which provides detailed insights on how this update looks like.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Create a backup of all the data present including SMS, Call Log, Internet Settings, pictures etc.
- Battery level in your Galaxy S4 should be 50%+,
- Make sure that all the required drivers are installed in your computer
Once you have followed all the instructions, proceed to the next step for updating the device.
Steps to Update Galaxy S4 GT I9500 with Lollipop 5.0 OS:
- Once downloaded, you need to extract the same and open Odin in your computer. Once connected, the ID: COM section in Odin will turn Yellow / Green depending upon the Odin version. If you don’t see ID: COM section turn some other color, then you need to install the drivers.
- Turn Off your device so that it can be entered in the Download Mode. Press and hold Home + Power + Volume down buttons to enter the device in the Download Mode.
- Connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and click on “PDA” to select the tar file which you have got after extracting the firmware package.
- Once you select the tar file, you need to click on “Start” to start the process of firmware update. Firmware update process will take around 3 -4 minutes and once updated, you will then have to wait for the device to reboot.
- Once the device is rebooted, you now need to then check the firmware version from the path “Settings > About Phone”.
- Now, you need to download the TWRP from here to your computer and once done, you need to flash the same via Odin. Connect your phone in the download mode to the computer and click on “AP” to select the openrecovery-twrp-126.96.36.199-klte.tar file.
- Once done, you now need to install the “SuperSU” app from Google PLAY Store too.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update. Very soon we will be coming out with the custom ROM firmwares which will further improvise your experience in your Galaxy S4 with the help of Lollipop Android 5.0.