Samsung has recently came out with announcement that Ice Cream Sandwich update to the existing mobile phones and tablets will be seen only after January 2012 end. It is still more than a month to go and as expected custom ROM are spotted providing the same look as that of original Android 4.0 as seen on Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
The famous of all the custom ROM, CyanogenMod has released a custom ROM for Galaxy Tab 10.1. The worth mention thing about this firmware update is that the CyanogenMod 9 ROM exactly looks like the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system. So if you are eagerly awaiting for the Ice Cream Sandwich officially on your device then this could be your change to try out ICS on your tablet.
Brief instructions on how to update Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Android 4.0 –
- First you need to take a Nandroid Backup by installing Nandroid Backup application.
- One the backup stuff is done, you need to wipe out data, wipe cache and also wipe out the Dalvik cache.
- Download the CyanogenMod 9 ROM on to your PC and transfer it your mobile phone.
- So you are now read CyanogenMod 9 ROM for your Galaxy Tab 10.1. Make sure that you apply this for Galaxy Tab 10.1 and other version of Galaxy Tab, if you do so you will break your device and it will not be of any further usage.
- Once the flashing is done, you need to reboot your device and then setup the device again with your Google Credentials. Finally you are ready to use the custom ICS on your tablet.
The only problem reported by users in this update are automatic screen rotation and camera will not work. Remind you that this not the fully version of CyanogenMod 9 and many updates will come across.