Google Nexus 5 Android smartphone users might just have received the latest version of Kitkat 4.4.3 Android OS. For all those users who wanted to retain the root or have thought of rooting the device can now root easily. While the new update of 4.4.3 brings in considerable amount of changes, there are already many custom ROM firmwares which are based on the Kitkat 4.4.3 Android OS. So before checking out on what are the list of instructions with which you can root the device, we will be checking out on what are the list of quick pre requisites.
- Create a backup of all the data in your Google Nexus 5 Android device so as to make sure that just in case if the data gets lost or corrupted, the same can be restored easily.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- From the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, ensure that USB Debugging is enabled in your Nexus 5 smartphone. Also make sure that your Nexus 5 is left with a minimum of 50% battery life.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
Assuming that you have followed all the list of quick pre requisites mentioned above, let’s head over to the next step where we have jotted down the list of instructions which will help you root the device.
Procedure to Root Google Nexus 5 Android Phone on Kitkat 4.4.3 Android OS:
- Download the TWRP Recovery image for Nexus 5 and ADB files (Windows , Mac and Linux) in your computer.
- Once downloaded, you need to extract the ADB as well as Fastboot zip file in a folder called “android” and rename the TWRP image file to “nexus5.image”
- Up next, you need to boot your Nexus 5 Android phone in the boot loader mode. Turn Off your phone and press Volume Up + Volume Down + Power button simultaneously to enter the device in the boot loader mode.
- Connect your Nexus 5 smartphone to the computer with the help of original USB cable and open terminal / command prompt from the “Android” folder by pressing “Win + R” and then enter “cmd” to hit on enter.
- Enter the command as “fastboot devices” in the command prompt.
- Please make sure that just in case if you are rooting for the very first time, you need to unlock the boot loader by entering the below mentioned command;
Fastboot oem unlock
- Make sure that you are accepting all the commands in the Nexus 5 Android smartphone and also once the boot loader us unlocked, the device will reboot on its own and you will have to set things up again.
- Now, you need to flash the TWRP recovery image in your Nexus android phone via the below mentioned command;
Fastboot flash recovery nexus5.img
- Nexus5.img file is the name of the recovery image. Using the volume buttons, you need to enter the device in the “Recovery mode” by selecting the appropriate option.
- Once the device enters in the TWRP recovery, you need to select “Reboot” menu by tapping on the same and then select “System” to root the device.
- Once the device is rooted successfully, you need to download the Super SU app from the Google PLAY Store.
Do download the “Root Checker” app from the Google PLAY Store to check on whether the device is rooted or not.
Note: If your device gets stuck, you need to long press the power button to turn Off the device and follow all the above instructions after restarting the device.
Leave a message in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of rooting.