For all those who wanted to have an update for their Samsung Captivate phones in the form of Gingerbread 2.3.3, you now has a reason to cheer as we will now see on how you can update your phone with the latest version of Gingerbread 2.3.3 and this version is dubbed as UCKF1. This update comes as a respite for all those who wanted to update their Samsung Captivate phones in the United States as this phone is only available in the United States. So, in this due course of this article we will see on how you can update your phone with the Gingerbread update.
There are many modifications, additions as well as improvements which have been done along with this update which are listed below along with the procedure as well as the pre requisites which will be requiring for the updation of the Samsung Captivate. Please do note that this update is not the official update and is the leak version, so some minor bugs may arrive or might get encountered which you can address them in the comments section below. Also, please note that updating with this firmware won’t mean that you have to have a root access to update with the same.
Please note that many users keep repeatedly address the issue of NO INTERNET CONNECTION working after the firmware update, for all those i would like to say that since the firmware upgrade process will be undergone all the APN Settings which are responsible for the Internet access will be wiped and you will have to reconfigure them all to get an Internet access and in the same way you will also have to configure all the MMS settings to be able to send the MMS from your phone after the firmware update.
Also, we hold no responsibility in any manner if you follow or download files from any other forums or sites as we ensure that all the firmware upgrade files are Safe to use along with a detailed update guide. The best part is that we provide total free support for your Android device which means just in an unlikely case if you face any issues while upgrading your device then we will ensure that you get out of this situation. Please note that you will have to carefully follow the below mentioned pre instructions followed by the instructions to apply Voodoo on your Samsung Galaxy Captivate or else there is a high risk of even bricking up of your device.
Improvements in Gingerbread 2.3.3 update:
- his all new update of Gingerbread 2.3.3 ropes in the better overall refinement of battery performance as it’s optimized further to give long battery life. With this update of 2.3.3 UCKF1, the battery life has been optimized by around 15% overall and also the quadrant ranks have been substantially improved.
- Apart from the battery life, this new update comes along with an all new faster and more interactive user interface which is the best part of this update.
- Many of the users faced issues with the GPS as well as frequent disconnection in the Wi Fi after a particular interval of time which is now overcomed in this update of Gingerbread.
- Now, the free RAM too is increased and it also releases more RAM to the users directly so that the phone becomes much faster as the RAM availability has been increased to the users so that apps can make use of it and also the start-up time has been marginally reduced by two points. The quadrant speeds have been substantially improved and also the user interface is now much speedier than before. This update is considered as the major update with almost all the fixes.
Pre Upgrade Instructions:
- So, first up before proceeding to update, you need to ensure that you have synced all your contacts with your Google Account, all sms, applications, videos and music files which are there in your phone should be taken a backup or else the data will be lost. Anything which is in SD card will not be lost, so you can alternatively move to SD Card.
- Next up remove the SIM card as well as the external SD cards if any in your phone, just to make sure that in an unlikely event the data in it doesn’t get corrupted,
- Ensure that you have kept original USB cable handy which you have got with your Galaxy Captivate and also the Galaxy Captivate device,
- Additionally, ensure that your phone has at least more than 50% of battery power left, this is just an advisory which if followed then you will not experience any difficulties as while updation of the device the battery consumption is at a maximum, Anything less than 50% of battery is not recommended to go ahead with as its dangerous to proceed.
- Ensure that your computer / laptop which runs on a XP, Vista or Windows 7 OS the firewall and other antivirus programs are disabled and also you should have admin privileges to download and install the software including the drivers and also along with this you will be requiring the USB port on your computer which supports USB 2.0.
- (Optional) Many of the Galaxy Captivate users have reported the problem that they are unable to get into the download mode which is the top most necessity for updating your device, so for all those just follow the given instructions which are mentioned below and you can easily fix the download mode and also the recovery mode bug. This procedure is only for those whose devices unable to get into the download mode and the recovery mode.
- Please note that flashing with the firmwares doesn’t mean that you are ROOTING your device. If you have flashed with Voodoo Lag fixes then too you can easily flash your device with this firmware.
- Ensure that you have closed the KIES completely and also disable any firewalls, antivirus if any.
Note : You will have to reconfigure the APN settings after updating the firmware to access the data services and the Internet services as all the Internet APN settings will be reset. You will have to contact your Service provider to get more info on the APN Settings. Not to forget also configure the MMS Settings.
Procedure to install Gingerbread UCKF1 2.3.3 on Galaxy Captivate:
- Before proceeding you will have to first download the firmware package for Samsung Captivate which is nothing but the Gingerbread 2.3.3 firmware and has Phone, CSC and PDA files along with the PIT file. Please note that even if a single file is missing from the below shown screen shot of files containing in the zip folder then it means that the files have not been downloaded properly and again you need to download them.
- Please note that in the process of extraction, if you are prompted to enter the password then enter the password as androidadvices.com. Please note that you should not rename the file in any manner or else the files won’t be recognized by the flashing tool which is Odin in this case. Now, once you complete extracting the files, just click on the Odin folder and then the Odin.exe file to open that flashing software client. There are many versions of Odin which are currently available and are provided by other forums but beware of using them as they are not recommended and the one which comes along with the above mentioned zip file is the recommended one. So, just open the same in your computer after which it will look like the below screen shot,
- As soon as you open the Odin in your computer, you now have to switch Off the Phone and need to enter the phone in the download mode. To enter the phone in the download mode, first of all you will have to turn Off your Galaxy Captivate and then just hold down the Volume down key and then press the Power ON button simultaneously to turn ON the device in the download mode after which you will see the screen as shown below.
- After that you will have to connect your phone with the computer where you have downloaded and extracted the zip file from the above link. Please note that while connecting the USB cable you will have to make sure that the Odin software is open as mentioned and shown above, as soon as you connect the phone to the Odin, the ID COM block will turn yellow after which you will have to enter the files by clicking on the corresponding options as shown below,
Phone – MODEM_I897UCKF1_CL1017518_REV02.tar.md5
PDA – CODE_I897UCKF1_CL273832_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5
CSC – SGH-I897-CSC-ATTKF1.tar.md5
- So, after you enter in the files, you will have to double check the same and then you will have to proceed and click on the “Start” option to start the firmware update process. After clicking on the start, you will see that the firmware will be installed in your phone within a time of not more than 5 minutes.
- You will see that as soon as the flashing process is completed, the device will be rebooting and after that you will see that the device will ask you to setup the Google Account as well as the time zone after selecting which you will see that the home screen will be seen on the phone. As soon as you see the home screen, you just need to plug out the USB cable from your phone which is connected the the computer.
So, after the phone is successfully updated with the latest version of UCKF1, you will have to now clear the cache from your phone so that all the cache data is being erased. To erase the same, you will have to first go into the recovery mode which can be done by first switching your phone off and then long press the volume up key, press Menu as holding both the buttons press the power button to start. You can see that after device gets switched ON, you will find options like clear cache data. You can clear that by selecting options Wipe data/factory reset and also you need to select Wipe Cache partition after which you need to reboot your device by selecting reboot system now after which your Galaxy Captivate will be rebooting and again you will have to set up your Google accounts etc.
For checking on which firmware you are currently on, you will have to go to the Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version where you will find the version of Android OS where it will show 2.3.4. As you can see above that we have shown some of the images of latest Gingerbread update.