In the last article we saw on how one can easily root their Nook Color, it’s now time to make use of the same by installing the custom ROM which is none other than the Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.1. This is not an official update from Nook but is the beta version which is developed by the third party developers, also we don’t have the exact time frame on by when this will be rolled out as an official update. In the due course of this article we will check out on what are the list of pre Requisites you need to follow and followed by which we will see the procedure in the next page. The Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 firmware for the Nook color is dubbed as 4.0.1 firmware. This firmware is developed and launched by Cyanogen MOD in the form of its 9.0 version.
This version of firmware will be having some bugs which will be solved in the coming versions.
- bluetooth (pairing/file transfer only confirmed)
- wifi (full it seems but it’s brand-new to the kernel so who knows how stable anything is)
- improved stability (but not perfect)
- real data usage info (not stubbed out)
- battery levels/charging
- physical menu button
- 3d games
- usb gadget in kernel (ie, mounting your sdcard to your computer)
- build system (to auto-create update.zips)
What’s Not Working:
- full 2d acceleration (esp on complex web pages)
Note: In the process of applying this custom ROM, the device will be rooted and once it’s rooted, the warranty will get void. The only way the warranty can be restored is by applying the firmware again. So, note down the current firmware of your nook color.
Disclaimer: Please note that we should not be held liable or responsible in any manner in whole or in parts if anything wrong happens to your device which is the most unlikely if you follow the instructions as prescribed in the due course of this article.
Screen Captures of ICS on nook Color:
Essential Pre Requisites:
- Backup all your data present in your device so as to make sure that just in case if the data gets deleted or corrupted, the same can be easily restored with the help of below mentioned steps.
Notes – Backup in the mail so that you can then restore manually
SMS Messages – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts Stored in Phone Memory – Sync with the Gmail application,
Videos, Images, Videos & Files etc.– Copy to internal / External SD Card,
Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- After this, you need to ensure that you have Rooted Nook Color. Once the device is rooted, ensure that the device is left with the minimum of 70% so as to ensure that the device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update. Ensure that you have ADMIN privileges in your computer so as To get the full USB read / write access.
So, now let’s proceed to the instructions with which you can easily update the latest Ice Cream Sandwich firmware.