So, for all those who have updated their Samsung Galaxy S2 devices powered by the att networks can now root their phones which are on the latest version of Gingerbread 2.3.5 version. In the due course of this article we will check out on how you can easily root the phone. Please note that in the process of rooting the warranty will get void. Also, we have made sure that all the instructions are written properly and with utmost clarity without the use of jargons for simple understanding. Just in case if you are rooting your phone for the first time then you might just want to know on what are the advantages, disadvantages and also the procedure to un root the phone so that you can then claim back the warranty which you will lose once you root he phone. For your simplicity we have broken this article into two different pages, on this page we will see some basic instructions about rooting and then in the next page we will check out the instructions to root the phone.
So, before we proceed to see on what exactly rooting means, you should ensure that your phone is on the Gingerbread 2.3.5 version of UCKJ1 and no on any of the version as this may or may not root the phone if you are on any other version of firmware. To know on what version of firmware you are currently on then you need to go to the path Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version where you will find the version of Android OS where it will show as shown in the below screenshot. Just in case, if there is any change then it’s not recommended to proceed to root the phone. You can update Samsung Galaxy S2 I777 by following the corresponding procedure. Please note that this procedure should be only applied to the phones which bear the model number as I777 and is not valid for Galaxy S2 GT I9100 or similar looking handsets.
What is Rooting?
Rooting is basically a procedure wherein the access to system files is established so that the third party apps or tricks can access or modify the system apps for better customization. Rooting also opens up a whole new functionality window wherein you can then apply custom ROMs as well as other applications which even allows you to over clock the phones.
Advantages of Rooting:
- Allows you to Over clock the CPU Processor Speeds to almost additional 50%,
- Allows you to install the custom ROM firmwares,
- Allows to convert the laggy RFS File system with the speedy EXT4 file system,
- Allows you to remove the system apps which comes pre loaded with the phone,
- Allows you to make many more customizations with the help of ROM Manager etc.
Disadvantages of Rooting:
- Rooting voids the warranty, though the warranty can be claimed as soon as the phone is updated with the factory or default firmware.
- If procedure is not followed properly then you might brick the phone
Advisory: We should not be held responsible or liable in any manner if anything wrong happens with your device, though which is a very unlikely if you follow the instructions which are mentioned in the article. So, it’s very important to follow all the instructions carefully before you proceed to root the phone.
Please note that in this process you need to disable any Voodoo lag fixes if applied from the recovery mode or else it will brick your phone. The recovery mode can be entered by pressing Volume Down Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. You need to get into the Advanced mode to disable any sorts of Lag fixes are there. You can also refer the video which is shown below to enter into the recovery mode.
Procedure to Root Samsung Galaxy S2 I777 at&t Phone:
- First up you will have to download the Galaxy s2 i777 Rooting Zip file from here which contains rooting files like the kernel, Super one click root along with the Odin 1.82 version. Please note that as soon as you download this zip file you will have to extract the same and in the process of extraction it will prompt you for the password. Enter the password as “androidadvices.com” without the inverted comas.
- So, once you are done with the unzipping you will now need to power Off the device and then you need to enter into the download mode. The download mode can be entered by pressing Volume Down Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. You can also refer the below video with which you can easily enter into the download mode.
- Now, open the Odin Flash tool in your computer and select the kernel which is named as “SGH-I777_ClockworkMod-Recovery_184.108.40.206” by clicking on the “PDA” tab and simply click on the “Start” tab to start the process of rooting and once the phone is rooted successfully you will then see that the phone is rebooted.
- Please note that before you click on the “Start” tab you need to ensure that in Odin the ID : COM section is turned yellow which will mean that all the drivers have been successfully installed and you are ready to proceed with the rooting process. Ensure that in Odin you don’t select the Re Partition option and match all the settings as shown in the below screen capture.
- Now, once the phone is re booted you will have to now proceed to enable the USB Debugging in the phone. The USB Debugging can be enabled from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging”.
- So, once you enable the USB Debugging Mode you will now need to connect your phone with the computer and then open the Super One Click Root executable file in your computer, click on the “Root”.
- As soon as you click on the “Root” you will see that the phone will be rooted and then the phone will be rebooted again. The need to root the device second time with the help of the Super one click Root is that the at&t drivers can only be rooted with the help of the Super One click method and the normal android rooting is done by the above process of Odin.
So, in this way the phone has been rooted successfully. Do let us know just in case if you face any issues in the comments section below as we will try our level best to ensure that all the comments are replied at the earliest.