How To Update Samsung Galaxy GIO S5660 to Official Gingerbread XXKPM 2.3.3 Firmware
For all those who have recently bought the smart budget Android phone which is none other than the Samsung Galaxy GIO now has a reason to smile as we will see on how you can easily update your phone with the latest version of Gingerbread 2.3.3 which has just arrived. This update of the 2.3.3 comes as a great respite for all those who always wanted to get rid of all the force close errors and also for all those who wanted longer battery life than the previous stock version of firmware. Last time we saw on how you can update with the XXKPK 2.3.3 version which too had some bugs but this version which is dubbed as the XXKPM has solved most of the bugs which is a huge relief.
Despite the later version of Gingerbread 2.3.4 is present in the form of XXKPK version, this version of update is bit of a unstable one as this gave lots of force close errors on all the devices of Galaxy Gio. There have been rounds that the optimized version of 2.3.5 version of Gingerbread too will be arriving soon in terms of the custom ROMs for the Galaxy Gio handsets across the Globe. Please note that this firmware version which is the XXKPM 2.3.3 is available for all the users both for the locked as the open phones and any one from any part of the Globe can proceed to update this firmware. So, to further simplicity, we have broken the article into different pages, so that you can easily refer to the sections which you really wish to.
So, just in case if you are already well versed with the instructions then you can directly flash the same but it’s always advised to update the phone only after reading the whole article. Please note that there is no need to root the phone for updating with this firmware. As it doesn’t require the root access, you will not have to root the phone. Just in case if you have rooted the phone then please note that the root access will be revoked as soon as you apply this firmware update.
Note that this update of the Galaxy Gio is the Odin version and not any other version like CWM or even the KIES Release. This version of the firmware is the manual leak which can only be updated by using the odin flash tool which is generally used by the Samsung Electronics too. There is not much of a difference in the flashing method as at the end of the update, the phone will be updated with the flashed files. So, lets proceed for the pre requisites to update the phone, enhancements in this version of firmware and then we will see the actual instructions to update the firmware of Galaxy Gio S5660. Additionally, please note that this update is only applicable for Galaxy Gio S5660 handset and for no other handset as if you update this firmware with any other phone then this will brick your phone.
- So, before you proceed you will have to ensure that you have backed up all the critical data which you will be requiring as after applying this update of XXKPM for your Gio the chances are very high that you may lose the data which is present in your phone. Just with the help of simple instructions which are mentioned below, you can create and restore the backed items like SMS, Contacts, Music, Videos and other important files which are present on your phone. The simplest thing you can do to save other files is to move them to the external SD CARD and then remove the same till the update is applied.
- Most of the users report after the update that their Internet is not working after this update, so for all those my only request is that kindly note down the Internet APN Settings for your phone so that you can easily restore the same once the firmware update is finished.
- Please note that you are having the minimum configuration of Windows XP or Windows 7 with the USB 2.0 minimum. Along with this configuration, you should also ensure that you will have to you are having the admin privileges on your computer and also most importantly KIES should be updated to the latest version which is KIES 2.0. Also, if any error message occurs while flashing the update, then you will have to update with the latest version of framework in your computer.
- So, next up let’s proceed for the enhancements which this ROM comes along. Please note that this version of update is the beta version and not the KIES release, so ensure that you have followed all the instructions which are mentioned.
- There are lot of enhancements in this update which can be found in terms of performance as well as on the user interface front as it’s now much more fluidic than ever.
- The battery consumption too has increased substantially if compared to the earlier versions of firmware.
- Still this phone doesn’t support the flash, though you can try to install the latest Flash 10.3 version powered by Adobe in your phone. But soon we will find a way out with which you can play all the flash content right on your Galaxy Gio S5660 handset and will be updated at androidadvices.com site.
- The default internet Browser along with the Android Market Place now runs perfectly alright even on slow internet speeds which is again a path breaking, all this became possible due to an all new algorithm setup for both these platforms.
- The overall quadrant speeds too have been registered a strong rise when measured with the Antutu Quadrant measuring tool which you too can download from the Android Market Place. So, let’s get ahead and see on how you can update with this version of firmware.
Procedure to update Samsung Galaxy GIO S5660 with Gingerbread XXKPM 2.3.3:
- Firstly, you will have to download the GIO XXKPM 2.3.3 zip file which contains all the essentials which are needed for updating the firmware of the phone in your computer.
- Now, once you download it, place the same to your desktop. After this you will now have to unzip the file which you placed on desktop. In the process of unzipping it will prompt you for the password, enter the password as “androidfirmwares.com” without the inverted comas.
- As soon as you enter the password, you will see that the files will be starting to unzip and the files which are inside are as shown below. Please note that if the files extracted at your end don’t contain the files which are mentioned in the below screen shot then you will have to again download this zip file from the above link.
- Now, you can see that from the extracted files, you will see the 3 files which are the Odin, OPS file along with the tar file which is nothing but the firmware which we will see on how you can make use of the same. So, now all you need to do is to open the Odin flash tool which has the green colored icon as shown in the above screen shot by clicking on the same. A soon as you open the Odin, you will see on the screen shot as shown below,
- Now, once the Odin is opened its now time to turn Off the phone so that you can now enter your phone in the download mode. The Galaxy Gio can be entered into the download mode by holding the Volume Down button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device. If you have successfully entered into the download mode then you will see a green screen which is shown below. Also, additionally note that if the device boots in the normal mode with home screen then you will have to again switch off the device and retry the process and if despite retrying you are unable to get into download mode then you will have to fix the download mode error. For an added convenience, we have also made a short video on how you can enter your phone in the download mode.
- After you enter into the download mode, keeping Odin opened in your computer you will now have to enter in the files by selecting the respective options. Please note that as soon as the cable is connected to the computer and phone, you will see that the ID : COM block will turn yellow as shown in the below screen shot.
- Now, once you see that ID : COM box glowing yellow, you will have to click on the “PIT” and need to choose the file named as “GIO_v1.0.ops” and then you will have to tick the option of “One Package” as shown in the above screen shot and then in the One Package option will be enabled wherein then you need to select the file as “S5660XXKPM_S5660XXKPA_S5660OXXKPA_HOME.tar.md5″ as shown in the above screen shot. That’s it you are now ready to proceed for the update. After double checking the same, you need to click on the “Start” option to start the firmware updation process. Please note that in this process don’t interrupt the process either by turning ON the Antivirus or KIES. Its better to close these both before proceeding to update the firmware.
- So, as soon as the firmware updation process is done, the phone will be rebooting and then you will see that a language selection menu will be popping up, select the same and then turn Off the Phone. Please note that you also need to enter into the recovery mode to clear the cache and also you will have to wipe the data so as to clear all the cache files if there are any.
Note : You will have to reconfigure the APN settings after updating the firmware to access the data services and the Internet services as all the Internet APN settings will be reset. You will have to contact your Service provider to get more info on the APN Settings. Not to forget also configure the MMS Settings.
That’s it you have now successfully updated with the latest version of Gingerbread 2.3.3 on your Galaxy Gio S5660 handset, do let us know if you face any issues while updating in the comments section below as we will try our level best to replay all your comments.